Anagha Sainath Week #9: Who's Really in Charge Here?

    Y2K is remembered, for better or worse, as a mass hysteria event that eventually culminated in a whole lot of nothing. It was believed that the start of a new century, the 2000s, would trigger a technological breakdown of operating systems across the globe. When the clock struck midnight and life continued to be the same, there was surely a collective sense of…embarrassment at our own gullibility. Perhaps that same embarrassment is the reason why, despite almost complete confirmation that the app TikTok is going to be banned in the United States, users are carrying on with their regularly scheduled posting. The collective disbelief almost reveals an underlying truth: power, in all its forms, often thrives on ambiguity. The mystery that shrouds the movements of people in power clouds our own vision and leaves us in a sense of denial over what we truly saw. 

    With the impending ban of TikTok scheduled for January 19th, American users are all wondering what the future holds for the popular app. Officials claim that the reason for banning the app is rooted in national security concerns, citing the potential for data collection by TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, compromising American privacy. However, critics argue that such reasoning hides the true dilemma, which is the government’s ability to control narratives, suppress dissent, and evade responsibility for its own faults.

    Personally, I wonder how legitimate this ban is. Many users, after experiencing the supposed ban of TikTok in 2020, just don’t believe that this will be the real thing. Perhaps it is inconceivable to us that our government, despite its numerous failings, could be capable of such a huge misuse of power. After all, how could the government ever operate without our best interests in mind? 

    As the date of the ban inches closer and closer, many are expressing their anger and frustration. TikTok is not just an entertainment platform; for millions, it is an incredible source of livelihood, education, and connection. It has democratized content creation, allowing marginalized voices to gain visibility. The platform’s power, in all truth, lies in its ability to disrupt established hierarchies, from media conglomerates to political institutions. In banning the platform, the government risks signaling that its primary concern is not national security, but the unchecked power of a platform it cannot fully control.

    Power, after all, is a volatile thing. It ebbs and flows, a tide that rolls every which way, responding to the dynamics of technology, culture, and collective will. The looming TikTok ban forces us to confront the question of who, exactly, decides who wields power in this rapidly evolving digital age. Is it the screaming masses, yearning for a voice? Or the quietly cold men in suits, deciding a country’s collective destiny? 

    As January 19th approaches rapidly, we are left to wonder: Will we, like those who “fell” for Y2K, look back at this moment with embarrassment? Or will this serve as a crucial turning point, where the true imbalance of power in the digital age becomes something frankly impossible to ignore?

Comments

  1. Hello Anagha! I like the way you approached this topic on the impending ban of TikTok and how people in the future may look upon this. I will be the first to admit that I have completely forgotten that this was something coming up, although I myself don’t really use TikTok. I think I can see your point on how the true reasoning behind the ban on TikTok is a power play in a way, as the government sees TikTok as a threat which can disrupt the narrative. I also like how you seemingly approach this topic from two perspectives, one as the government looking at the threatening app and one as the user who is nonetheless still addicted to their favorite app. I think your final analogy linking the TikTok ban to the silent battle between the “screaming masses” and the “men in suits” is a pretty good analogy for the state of the internet war right now as a whole. Overall, I enjoyed reading your blog, and I hope to read more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anagha! This is probably really surprising but until a few days ago, I had no idea what Y2K was. I still do not completely understand but have learned more about it now. The government is definitely taking a drastic step by banning TikTok and singling out this app in a sea of other similar Chinese applications used by thousands of viewers in the United States. A lot of this may stem from ignorance or fear, as you mentioned; the situation definitely sounds similar to Y2K or even McCarthyism as we are reading in class. However, I may not be fully informed about the ban as I do not use the app and it does not affect me much. You hint at the fact that this could be a form of abuse of power by the government, which I can see as a possibility; but, the other side is that this is a precautionary measure that is being taken for the security and good of the nation. Most of all, I love how you end with rhetorical questions because they get me thinking about the connection between the TikTok ban, Y2K and the abuse of power, nicely connecting your entire blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anagha! Even though I preferred to gain my brain rot from Instagram reels and consequently wasn't too shaken up by the ban, I've certainly seen how people around me have reacted. I feel particularly bad for those who uninstalled TikTok and can't install it again.

    I do find it particularly funny how many TikTok users immediately migrated to the Chinese version of TikTok. It seems a bit counterintuitive to have something banned due to suspicions of espionage and have most of the platform's users move to the "suspect" country's platform. I highly encourage you to watch the TikTok court proceedings, as they are more of a comedy than actual law proceedings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anagha! I love how you connect the TikTok ban to larger political and philosophical ideas. When I heard of the ban, I didn't think that much of it, but your blog caused me to rethink our government's true motives with the ban. This is exacerbated because TikTok came back almost a day after it was banned, which deepens the narrative that the people behind this ban should be scrutinized deeper. Your point that power depends on ambiguity is proven by this, since the people credited to bringing TikTok back have gained immense approval from younger generations. This new approval came from fear and, as you said, the ambiguity behind the TikTok ban, and whether or not it would last forever and destroy important platforms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flying for the first time, as the piolet. Raymond Holmes-King Week 13

Raymond Holmes-King Week 14: Japan

Wesley Guo Week 16: Reaching For Tomorrow.