Anagha Sainath Week #10: Sorry, MLK
Last Monday, on Martin Luther King day, a day of celebration for how far our country has come, something very un-peaceful occurred. I can say with confidence that almost everyone tuned in to watch the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 47th President of the United States were definitely not expecting to see what they did. The sight, of course, that was met with horrified gasps from viewers across America, is none other than a Nazi salute executed not once, but twice, with rigor and passion by Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
To be honest, in the week since this aired on live TV, I have been in shock. It’s difficult to believe that in a progressive era such as this, in the year 2025, that bigots with such hatred in their hearts still exist. Now, to stop this blog from getting too political, I’d like to focus on exactly why this salute is a bad omen for our country, regardless of partisan beliefs.
There was a time when people in power were extensively media trained, choosing evasive and diplomatic answers over strong statements. I’m sure politicians still receive media training today, but with the advent of social media, their beliefs and values are much easier to publicly access. Today, Donald Trump has no issue saying that “‘Male’ means a person belonging, at conception, to the sex that produces the small reproductive cell,” a biologically false statement taken directly from the White House’s website. In my AP Biology class, we are currently in our genetics unit and we are quite literally learning about how the SRY gene only activates at around six weeks post-conception, technically making every male female/non-binary by Trump’s decree. I know my point seems a bit tangential, but isn’t it a little wild how a position of power allows a singular person to begin a rampant tirade of spreading misinformation?
Anyways, back to the salute. Remember my point about media training? Well, the thing is, Musk is a tech CEO appointed for a government position by Trump. His actions are a chilling reminder of the responsibility that goes hand in hand with a position of power. Whether one is a politician, CEO, or any other public figure, their actions carry immense weight, influencing not only public discourse but also societal norms. A Nazi salute from someone so influential doesn’t just shock—it normalizes hate and emboldens extremism. Just take a look at the crowd footage from the inauguration. Rather than outrage and fury, the double salutes were met with cheers and even reciprocated salutes. Public figures must be held accountable, as their words and actions shape societal norms.
Remaining silent allows such abuses of power to persist. It’s up to us to demand accountability and ensure that positions of influence are used to promote truth and equality, not division and misinformation. Especially on MLK day.
Hey Anagha! I remember scrolling through Instagram and suddenly coming across a reel in which Elon Musk very intensely performed the Nazi salute as he addressed the crowd. I was shocked and taken aback. Why was the crowd cheering?! I rushed to the comments, only to find a few defending him, saying it was “his autism” and that he did not know what he was doing. However, after looking further into it, I never saw Musk ever claim that he was not trying to Nazi salute on any social media. It was really scary, and I definitely share your sentiment of being in shock. I still cannot believe that people continue to support him even after witnessing this disturbing sight. I also didn't know that Trump made the claim about a person’s gender, though it does not seem unlikely in the context of everything else he is currently doing. It truly is a scary world we live in today and, as you highlight in your blog, it shows clear abuse of power. Thank you for reminding us that when someone has too much power, it can go to their head; they can easily say or do whatever they want, seemingly without consequence.
ReplyDelete