Michelle George | Week 13: Nostalgic Memories
Photo Credit: Hamilton, Jori. "The Importance of Preserving Memories Through Photography." Life as a Human, 6 June 2021, Web. Accessed 19 March 2025.
Memory shapes who we are as people. It connects us to our past, influences our present, and even guides how we go about our lives in the future. But when I think of memories, I solely think about my memories with my family and friends.
I remember my family dinners with my family friends, my grandma, and my cousins.
I remember the time when my dad carried me on his back when I was eight years old.
I remember the time I met my niece for the first time in my old home.
Memories of family can be a source of comfort. When I experience difficult moments, I recall these beautiful, nostalgic memories to cheer me up. It shows that this obstacle in my life will eventually pass and there is no need to worry or stress over it now as it does not provide any benefit or change the future.
In today’s world, it is easy to just let moments slip by. Through journaling, taking pictures, or simply sharing stories, these moments become memories that are fun to look back on. For me, I love to look back on the days when my friends and I went to the beach consecutively for three days. Ah! The shells, the sandcastles, the feeling of stepping out of the water when your hair is wet but you feel refreshed—that is a memory I love to go back to.
Memory is more than just recalling the past but rather it is a reminder of joy and love. Cherishing those memories as well as preserving them helps keep those connections alive, influencing our lives in ways that go beyond that one. good. moment.
Hello Michelle! I really enjoyed your blog this week about memories being a source of comfort. I really relate to your topic because I also use memories as a reminder that everything is temporary, even situations that seem horrible at the time. Memory as a tool to keep certain connections alive is so important, especially when learning from history is such a critical aspect of development.
ReplyDeleteIn my own life, I’ve found that certain memories keep me comforted and give me a basis to build new solutions off of. An example of this would be when I was struggling to come up with a solution to an issue I had with contacting a certain vendor for a fundraiser. Reaching deep into my memory, I recalled a time that I had faced a similarly difficult vendor and I combated the issue by being persistent in my contact attempts and ensuring that the vendor remembered my name. Using this tactic, I was able to finally get in touch with the vendor and secure a really good discount.
Overall, I loved the way you used impactful formatting and specific examples to enhance your blog, and I thought the theme of your blog was also very compelling. I can’t wait to read more from you!
Hi Michelle! I really loved reading your blog. The way you structure it is really nice and gives it a lot of impact! I love your positive take on memories, that they help you stay grounded in a fast paced world. I think it’s great that you intentionally take the time to reminisce on happy moments.
ReplyDeleteI like to use my own memories as tools to navigate my life. I usually only really recall memories if they’re relevant to what is happening at the moment. Your take on memories is really different from mine, and I might try to do what you do with them.
As an incredibly forgetful person, I really connect with your point that memories often slip by us. I do journal a little, but only when I really want to, since I’m honestly too lazy to write about my whole day, everyday.
Hi Michelle!
ReplyDeletePhotos are a great way to revisit fond memories, especially when discussed with friends. I find myself more and more often recalling the days when we thought long division was the hardest math.
However, I feel that photos are unable to truly capture a memory; rather, they often distort it. The brain is not physically capable of storing every single detail, and memories are often altered by the recounting of others. The very concrete proof of an event shown in a photo can be misleading because the truth is that many people can experience the same event yet have very different experiences. The concrete factuality of the items present in a photo removes just a little bit of the personality that is abundant in each individual memory.
Memories quite literally shape who we are. In the end, we are not just a photo album filled with slowly fading pictures but rather an ever-changing story, with ourselves as the writer.