Anthony Liu Week #16: The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon

I first heard the term “Baader-Meinhof phenomenon” in a psychology podcast I half-listened to while pretending to clean my room. It’s that strange thing where you learn about something, whether an idea, a word, a random object, and then suddenly, it starts popping up everywhere. You hear one Arctic Monkeys song, and now it’s in every Instagram reel, highlight , and Spotify suggestion. It’s not magic. It’s just how our brains work.


Still, the first time it happened to me, it did feel like some kind of cosmic joke.

I remember in middle school, a friend casually mentioned a fruit called a persimmon. I’d never heard of it and laughed, thinking that a fruit called "per simon" could not possibly exist. But the very next day, I saw persimmons—actual persimmons—on the kitchen counter. My mom had never bought them before but had because of a sale, and now they were waiting on my countertop as if manifesting themselves there just to prove me wrong. After that, they were everywhere:  diet recipes, a tree growing in my friend's backyard, and even a weird smoothie that I had never noticed on the menu of a local cafe.

At first, I chalked it up to coincidence. But it kept happening. Hear someone mention a niche philosopher? Now they're quoted in a book I randomly pick up. And it always feels personal, like the universe is winking at you.


Psychologists say it’s just your brain being selective. It’s not that the thing is happening more often; it’s just that you’re paying more attention.


But even knowing that, it still feels kind of magical.


While I was surfing YouTube and making an excuse to myself that I was looking for a good background playlist to study, I stumbled across a video affectionately titled, How to Get an A Even If You’re Bad at Studying. Finding it intriguing (and just a bit personally attacked) I clicked on it. Throughout the video, the guy talked about the same effect, but applied to studying.

See, while the traditional way of studying is often sitting at a desk for a given amount of time, fully locked in and focused on the subject, he proposed an alternative. By reviewing a concept many times throughout the day, this kind of continuous spaced repetition might actually be more beneficial to the brain.


Now, you may be thinking it’s impossible to study effectively 20+ times a day, but simply applying concepts you’ve learned to the real world can be review enough. For example, considering whether me struggling to get my locker open was an example of encoding failure or retrieval failure.


I think there’s something really human about that, how we find patterns out of chaos. Whether it’s a fruit, a philosopher, or a study trick on YouTube, once you notice it, you start to realize how much was already there—just waiting for you to pay attention.



Comments

  1. Hey Anthony! I really enjoyed your final blog on the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. It gave me a new term to define the feeling I’ve had time and time again. Whenever I hear about something for the first time, I begin to see it everywhere in my life. This has always freaked me out, and I’m glad I can finally put a name to the feeling I’ve experienced so often.

    I appreciated your writing style in this blog post. I think that your voice as an author is very playful and evolved, which is a refreshing break from more serious topics that we tend to discuss. I also appreciated your “per simon” anecdote, which was a very relatable tale as I had a similar experience with starfruit. Once I heard about it online, I began to see it everywhere I went.

    Overall, I really enjoyed your blog and I hope to read more of your writing even though blogs are over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony! I thought your blog was really interesting, and it helped me put a name to something that I always experience! This happened to me with lily of the valley flowers. I was playing minecraft with my friend and I told her that was my favorite minecraft flower, and all of a sudden, it became a small trend on Instagram. It was crazy seeing a flower I had only seen in a video game on everyone’s for you pages, to the point where my friends were literally sending reels about the flower. It’s still my favorite flower, and unless my phone heard me, I think that the effect you wrote about caused this. Another time this happened was last year, when I really wanted a soft black zip up, and kept noticing girls around me walking around in them. I genuinely thought I was going insane, because there was no way that every other girl in this school owned a plain black zip up, and looking back at that, I might’ve been subject to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.
    I think the connection between this and studying is creative, and I feel like I already do this for my vocabulary words, since I try to link a word to a certain vibe or object, so on tests, I can remember the vibe the word gives me, and then its definition.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flying for the first time, as the piolet. Raymond Holmes-King Week 13

Raymond Holmes-King Week 14: Japan

Wesley Guo Week 16: Reaching For Tomorrow.